The Rutledge Building
The Rutledge family has been in the Charleston area since 1735, when Dr. John Rutledge arrived from Ireland. He and his English-born wife had seven children. Their oldest son John and youngest son Edward were involved extensively in South Carolina politics during the Revolutionary War era. John served in the First Continental Congress in 1774; “President of South Carolina,” 1776-1778; Governor of South Carolina, 1779-1782; and the second Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1795. Edward was a delegate to the Second Continental Congress and the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence (age 26). He was also the thirty-ninth Governor of South Carolina.
Edward Rutledge’s marriage to Henrietta Middleton, daughter of Henry and Mary Middleton in March 1774 created the Rutledge-Middleton connection. Two of the couple’s three children survived to adulthood – Henry Middleton Rutledge and Sarah Rutledge. In 1779, their son Henry married Septima Sexta Middleton, daughter of fellow Declaration of Independence signer Arthur Middleton, further strengthening the bond.