The Middleton Place Gardens
The Gardens at Middleton Place, which Henry Middleton envisioned and began to create in 1741, reflect the grand classic style that remained in vogue in Europe and England into the early part of the 18th century. According to tradition, it took one hundred slaves almost a decade to complete the wide-sweeping terraces, walks, the artificial lakes and long vistas to the river and marshland beyond. Expanded in the mid 19th century, romantic era additions have given the garden a full spectrum of the history of garden design.
Guests of the Inn at Middleton Place have almost limitless opportunities to enjoy the centuries-old camellias blooming in the winter months and azaleas that blaze on the hillside above the Rice Mill Pond in the spring. In summer, kalmia, magnolias, crepe myrtles and roses accent a landscape magnificent throughout the year. The Gardens have been planned so that there is something blooming for the delight of visitors year-round.