The Inn's Recent Press and Accolades
Among only two hotels honored in South Carolina, the Inn at Middleton Place made National Geographic Traveler magazines first-ever, annual "Stay List." The "Stay List" issue celebrates 150 hotels in the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean region that are among the best at blending location-inspired architecture, ambiance and amenities, eco-stewardship and an ethic of giving back to the community.
In addition to this accolade, here are few of the Inn's other recognitions
- The South's Best Inn 2017 by Southern Living
- The Post and Courier 2016 Charleston’s Choice Winner - Hotel (September, 2016)
- Southern Living's 2016 list of "The South's Best Hotels and Inns"! (May, 2016)
- 2016 Fido's Favorite, receiving a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 bones from BringFido (May, 2016)
- Charleston Mercury Magazine featured The Inn as "A Plantation Staycation" (November, 2015)
- "Best Romantic Places to Stay in Charleston" (September, 2015)
- The Inn was listed on Oyster.com's list of one of "The South's Most Beautiful Inns" (August, 2015)
- "Make Middleton Your Backyard For The Weekend", Charleston Magazine Features The Inn (June, 2015)
- TripAdvisor recognized The Inn with a 2015 Certificate of Excellence Award! (May, 2015)
- USA Today features The Inn's Romantic Package as a "Charleston Cuddling" Honeymoon (April, 2015)
- Voted "Family-Friendly Thanksgiving Getaway" by Travel and Leisure! (November, 2013)
- TripAdvisor has recognized The Inn at Middleton Place with a 2013 Certificate of Excellence! (May, 2013)
- NBC's Today Show features The Inn at Middleton Place and The Romantic Package (February, 2013)
- Budget Travel - Southern Smackdown: Savannah vs Charleston (March, 2012)
- Architects + Artisans - The Road Less Taken at Middleton Inn (September, 2011)
- The Travel Belles - Five Diverse Places to Stay in Charleston (September, 2011)
- New York Times Travel Guides Frommer's Review (September, 2011)
- USA Today Travel Tips Featuring The Inn at Middleton Place (2011)
- National Geographic Travel Writer Features The Inn at Middleton (2010)
- NBC's TODAY Show - "Last Minute Weekend Getaways" (2010)
- Recognized in Zagats 2009 publication of "Top U.S. Hotels, Resorts and Spas" for the first year ever and one of only 7 other properties in Charleston (2009)
- Awarded the Sustainability Award at the 44th annual South Carolina Governor's Conference on Tourism and Travel. Middleton was recognized for its extensive, leading-edge efforts in modern sustainability, conservation and eco-friendly practices. Also noted Middleton Place's efforts in protecting the scenic view shed along the Ashley River and placing thousands of acres of woods and swamp into conservation easements, expanding its nature-based recreational opportunities, and maintaining membership in major green hotel, wildlife and other nature groups. (2009)
- National Wildlife Federation (NWF) Backyard Wildlife Habitat site (2004)
- SC Wildlife Federation's - Commercial Conservation Award (2003)
- Travel & Leisure's "Top Ten Places to go Next" (2001)
- American Institute of Architects - Honor Award (1987)
The Inn at Middleton Place is a proud member of the following:
- South Carolina Bed & Breakfast Association
- Green Hotel Association
- The International Ecotourism Society
- South Carolina Nature Based Tourism
- National Audubon Society
- National Wildlife Federation
- South Carolina Wildlife Federation
"I loved our room, with a fireplace in front of our king size bed, huge windows overlooking the river, and a spacious bathroom with 'huge' garden tub.
There were lots of secluded areas around the Inn and the Gardens to sit and enjoy the lovely scenery. We enjoyed the Tour of the Main House, where we were told what it was like to live there in the 'Old Plantation Days!'
I was hoping for what I got, a very romantic weekend with my husband of 23 years. I look forward to when I can visit again."
Tammy and Bryan McGinnis
"I cannot say enough good things about the Inn at Middleton Place. It is simply our favorite place to go, anytime of year and to celebrate any kind of occasion. We have never been able to completely relax anywhere else as much as we do at the Inn. The rooms are the most beautiful we have ever stayed in. The gorgeous windows with the beautiful ceiling to floor wood shutters, the incredible wood-burning fireplace, the 150 gallon garden tub, beds that are like sleeping on a 'cloud,' and to top it all off, wonderfully fragrant soaps and bath salts that are made on the premises...what more could you ask for?! But, that is not all...The wonderful innkeeper, Abby, and the staff make your visit so pleasurable by always attending to your every need, and they do it with a big smiles on their faces."
Tina B. Columbia, S.C.
"When I think about the Inn at Middleton Place, I feel like I am going back in time of the old plantation days - except with modern day luxuries. Just driving in I start to relax …… no pavement……the view of the horses playing…… the road winding through the woods, and then you arrive at the inn where live oaks gracefully line the Ashley River!! Our room was pristine and large but cozy – it is like your own little haven. The sitting area is in front of a real fireplace. I could sit there forever eating chocolate covered strawberries and listening to the fire crackle.
Everyone at the inn is so helpful and they strive to make your stay the best experience possible. There is always something fun going on at the inn - whether you are going there to be with the girls for the wreath making, or a romantic weekend with your spouse, it is the perfect place to be!"
Larry and Sherri